Latest Beta Andromedae Stories
NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer has lifted the veil off a ghost known to haunt the local universe, providing new insight into the formation and evolution of galaxies. The eerie creature, called NGC 404, is a type of galaxy known as "lenticular." Lenticular galaxies are disk-shaped, with little ongoing star formation and no spiral arms. NGC 404 is the nearest example of a lenticular galaxy, and therefore of great interest. But it lies hidden in the glare from a red giant star called Mirach....
Andromeda Constellation -- Andromeda is a constellation representing the princess Andromeda, in the northern sky near Pegasus. The constellation takes the general shape of a long, dim, straggly letter "A". It is most notable for containing the Andromeda Galaxy. Notable features The brightest star in Andromeda, Î± Andromedae, called Alpheratz or Sirrah, makes up with Î±, Î², and Î» Pegasi an asterism called the Great Square of Pegasus. This star was once considered part of...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.