Bluebirds Reference Libraries
The Western Bluebird (Sialia mexicana) is a medium-sized thrush. Adults have a gray belly. Males are bright blue on top and on the throat with a red breast; they have a brown patch on their back. Adult females have duller blue wings and tail, a brownish breast and a gray crown, throat and back. Their breeding habitat is semi-open country across western North America, but not desert areas....
The Eastern Bluebird, (Sialia sialis), is a medium-sized thrush found in open woodlands, farmlands and orchards. Adults have a white belly. Males are bright blue on top and have a red throat and breast. Females have duller blue wings and tail, a brownish throat and breast, and a gray crown and back. Eastern Bluebirds are found in the Eastern US as the name implies. Eastern Bluebirds...
The Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides) is a medium-sized thrush. Adults have thin bills. Adult males are bright blue, somewhat lighter underneath. Adult females have duller blue wings and tail and a grey breast, grey crown, throat and back. Their breeding habitat is open country across western North America, including mountain areas, as far north as Alaska. They nest in cavities or in...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.