Latest Brennan Spiegel Stories
Patients diagnosed at a younger age are at higher risk People who have diverticulosis, or pouches in the lining of the colon, often worry that they will eventually develop a painful and sometimes serious condition called diverticulitis, as previous research has shown that one in four, or up to 25 percent, of those with the condition will. Now, in a 15-year study that contradicts the common wisdom on rate of progression from diverticulosis to diverticulitis, UCLA researchers show that...
Rebekah Eliason for redOrbit.com – Your Universe Online Researchers at UCLA have identified a new form of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) that occurs after an acute bout of diverticulitis, when parts of the intestine become inflamed or infected, causing patients significant pain. These findings could help lead to better management of symptoms for some patients. The discovery of this new condition, dubbed Post-Diverticulitis Irritable Bowel Syndrome (PDV-IBS), confirms the irritable...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.