Latest Burmese Pythons in Florida Stories
Lawrence LeBlond for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online South Florida has been dealing with a problem of epic proportions in recent years: an invasion of Burmese pythons. According to the National Park Service, more than 2,000 pythons have been removed from the Everglades since 2002, with experts calling this just a small fraction of the total population now found there. While this in itself is a significant problem for Southern Florida, new research published in the journal Biology...
redOrbit Staff & Wire Reports - Your Universe Online Officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are recruiting snake hunters in an attempt to protect the Everglades by reducing the population of the giant Burmese python. Starting on January 12, 2013, both licensed and amateur snake hunters will be allowed to compete in what officials are calling the "2013 Python Challenge" -- a month-long competition which will offer cash prizes in order to encourage the...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.