Latest Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge Stories
TUCSON, Ariz. -- About 2 1/2 years ago, the survival chances for Arizona's endangered Sonoran pronghorns were grim. Victimized by prolonged drought, only an estimated 21 of the sleek desert-dwelling animals were left in this country; their extinction appeared inevitable. But today, after above-average winter rains, a favorable spring and initial success from a recovery program including semicaptive breeding, forage enhancement and emergency water supplies, the shy creatures are making a...
The bighorn sheep (Ovis Canadensis) can be found in North America. There are three currently accepted subspecies of this sheep. The range of the bighorn sheep depends on these subspecies. The Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep dwell in the cool mountainous areas of the United States and Canada, while the Desert bighorn sheep are native to the hotter desert areas of the southwestern United States. Bighorn sheep prefer habitats located in rocky, grassy slopes, and alpine meadows....
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.