Latest Cahora Bassa Stories
Text of report by privately-owned weekly newspaper The Zimbabwe Independent website on 21 August [Report by Paul Nyakazeya: "Zesa deal condemns Zim to darkness"] As if the current frequent power-cuts were not enough, long- suffering Zimbabweans are set to spend even more on candles and firewood as Zesa [Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority] increases power-cuts. The power utility needs to export the power saved through load- shedding to Namibia as re-payment for the US$50 million loan...
JOHANNESBURG -- Africa's hydropower projects have not helped the continent's poor, with the number of people without electricity seen rising to 586 million in 2030 from 535 million, the WWF environmental body said on Monday. WWF Global Freshwater Program's Ute Collier told a hydropower and sustainable development conference that while Africa needed reliable power supplies to stimulate economic growth, many people could miss out if no sustained effort was made to reach them. Africa is home to...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.