Canadian cuisine Reference Libraries
The four species of wild rice comprise the genus Zizania, a group of grasses that grow in shallow water in small lakes and slow-flowing streams. Often, only the flowering head rises above the water. Three of the four species are native to North America: Northern wild rice (Zizania palustris) is an annual plant native to the Great Lakes region of North America. Wild rice (Z. aquatica), also...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.