Latest Canton of Lucerne Stories
LONDON (Reuters) - An 1842 watercolor by JMW Turner could well set a saleroom record when it goes under the hammer in June, auctioneers Christie's said on Wednesday. The Blue Rigi: Lake of Lucerne is expected to fetch more than two million pounds ($3.47 million), putting it on target to beat the current record for a Turner watercolor on paper of 2.04 million pounds set in 2001 by Heidelberg with a Rainbow. It is also within striking distance of the world record for a British work of...
By Pilar Wolfsteller LUCERNE, Switzerland (Reuters) - Helicopters ferried food to an Alpine resort on Thursday and plucked people from roofs in the capital Berne as flood-ravaged Switzerland braced for more rain. In Romania, one of the countries worst hit by the downpours that lashed parts of central Europe earlier this week, the death toll from flooding rose by six to 31 on Thursday, with another three people missing, including a 4-year-old girl. The torrential rains forced lakes...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.