Latest Canyon Lake Stories
Study of how canyon formed offers insight into ancient flood events on Earth and Mars In the summer of 2002, a week of heavy rains in Central Texas caused Canyon Lake"”the reservoir of the Canyon Dam"”to flood over its spillway and down the Guadalupe River Valley in a planned diversion to save the dam from catastrophic failure. The flood, which continued for six weeks, stripped the valley of mesquite, oak trees, and soil; destroyed a bridge; and plucked meter-wide boulders from...
By Jill Redhage, The Tribune, Mesa, Ariz. Jul. 29--Torrential rain and lightning hampered rescue efforts Saturday after a boat exploded at Apache Lake and a man drowned at Saguaro Lake in separate incidents. Motorists idled for miles along Highway 88, stranded between washes, as rescuers headed to the lakes. Apache Junction and Rural/Metro firefighters and Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputies received a call at 2:27 p.m. from the Apache Lake marina, where three passengers were...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.