Quantcast

Latest Carbon monoxide poisoning Stories

87b3b1b16159e36861f51e16bcda369c1
2009-05-27 01:05:00

Houston researchers say many of the children treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after Hurricane Ike were playing video games powered by generators. Two million homes in Texas were without power, following Hurricane Ike and while some scrambled to preserve food using gasoline-powered generators, others used them to run televisions and video game systems. Dr. Caroline Fife at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston said of the 37 individuals treated for carbon monoxide...

2009-04-28 07:00:00

Citing Need for Early and Accurate Carbon Monoxide Exposure Detection Following Disasters, Agency Unanimously Approves and Authorizes Funds to Purchase Rad-57s IRVINE, Calif., April 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Masimo (Nasdaq: MASI), the inventor of Pulse CO-Oximetry(TM) and Measure-Through Motion and Low-Perfusion pulse oximetry, announced today that the Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeter has been added to the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) list of required health and safety...

2009-04-01 15:01:00

Act Builds on Momentum of States to Pass Laws Requiring CO alarms MEBANE, N.C., April 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Approximately every nine minutes, a fire department in the US responds to a residential carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. To help protect families from this silent killer, 19 states have passed laws requiring CO alarms in certain residences. Now, US Congressman Jim Matheson (D-UT) has introduced the "Residential Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act," which if enacted, would expand the...

2009-03-06 10:02:00

WASHINGTON, March 6 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging consumers to replace their smoke alarm and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm batteries this Sunday as clocks are turned ahead for Daylight Saving Time. (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030904/USCSCLOGO) "Safeguard your family by putting new batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms this weekend," said CPSC's Acting Chairman Nancy Nord. "Properly working smoke and CO...

2009-02-18 07:00:00

New Evidence from London Ambulance Service Study Shows Five Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeters(TM) Detected 83 Unsuspected CO Poisonings in One Year--Over a Third of the UK Reported Annual CO Poisonings IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Masimo (Nasdaq: MASI), the inventor of Pulse CO-Oximetry and Measure-Through Motion and Low-Perfusion pulse oximetry, today announced that in a newly published report, the UK House of Commons All Party Parliamentary Gas Safety Group (APPGSG)...

2009-01-28 12:15:00

WASHINGTON, Jan. 28 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), there have been more than 150 residential fires that resulted in more than 200 deaths since Thanksgiving. These statistics have led the USFA and fire chiefs to declare the holiday season and start of the new year as one of the deadliest in recent memory. (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030904/USCSCLOGO ) As families look for ways to save money in these tough economic times, the...

2009-01-26 07:00:00

Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) urge families to inspect, protect and detect to safeguard loved ones from the 'Silent Killer' NORTHBROOK, Ill., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Bitter cold weather can bring more than just frosty mornings and runny noses. Along with the winter chill come the dangers of deadly carbon monoxide (CO), whose odorless reach extends into household living spaces as more families turn to alternative methods -- such as a fireplace,...

2008-12-18 17:21:00

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- As cold winter weather chills northern and central California this week, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) urges customers to be mindful of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide. Several tragic cases of carbon monoxide poisoning have taken place this week as customers throughout the state try to stay warm. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is created by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels and...

2008-10-01 03:00:09

An early Wednesday fire in a first-floor video-viewing shop in a seven-story building in Osaka, Japan, killed 15 people and injured 10 more, authorities said. All those killed were men who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning or inhalation burns, Kyodo news service reported. The video business had 32 rooms, each equipped with a reclining sofa, TV and video recorder. It was occupied by 26 customers, two staff members and the manager at the time of the fire, Kyoto reported. One customer who...

2008-09-10 15:00:37

By BROUN, Britton DRINKING may have clouded the judgment of two men who died of carbon monoxide poisoning when they used a barbecue to heat their tiny camping hut, police say. A store manager from Howick in Auckland, 35, and a Hamilton stock- purchaser, 50, both originally from South Africa, died in their bunks early on Sunday after bringing a small charcoal-burning barbecue into their Waikato camping hut while on a fishing trip. Their names should be made public today. Jason...


Word of the Day
reremouse
  • A bat.
The word 'reremouse' comes from Middle English reremous, from Old English hrēremūs, hrērmūs ("bat"), equivalent to rear (“to move, shake, stir”) +‎ mouse.
Related