Latest Carl Leavitt Hubbs Stories
Fish treasure trove opened with funding from the National Science Foundation The stories they could tell, these fishes that once swam the ocean deep and are now in jars and bottles. In the 1960s and '70s, Richard Rosenblatt, a marine biologist at California's Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO), set out on field expeditions to remote places to study the fishes of the Pacific Ocean. During trips south to Mexican waters, Rosenblatt and other scientists retrieved hundreds of specimens of...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.