Latest Carleton College Stories
By Emma L. Carew, Star Tribune, Minneapolis Jul. 14--Ben Nebo knew his combination of majors -- Chinese, philosophy, and justice and peace studies -- wouldn't have recruiters beating down his door with high-paying job offers. So he joined the Peace Corps. Many of his friends, also with scattered degrees in liberal-arts studies that don't funnel directly into upwardly mobile careers, joined similar programs that send workers to do good in locales near and far. "They knew they didn't...
New research shows the surprising paths taken by forwarded messages through the InternetEveryone who has an e-mail account has probably received a forwarded chain letter promising good luck if the message is forwarded on to others--or terrible misfortune if it isn't. The sheer volume of forwarded messages such as chain letters, online petitions, jokes and other materials leads to a simple question--how do these messages reach so many people so quickly?New research into these forwarded...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.