Latest Carolyn Sumners Stories
Lawrence LeBlond for redOrbit.com Wednesday June 20, 2012 is the longest day of the year; the one day with more sunlight hours than any other day in the calendar year; it is also the first day of summer and is known as the Summer Solstice. The longest daylight day of the year occurs when the Sun appears at its highest point in the sky. At that point, the Sun appears to stand still just briefly before it begins its long journey toward the Winter Solstice -- the shortest daylight day,...
By ROXANA HEGEMAN, Associated Press Writer GREENSBURG, Kan. - Scientists located a rare meteorite in a Kansas wheat field thanks to new ground penetrating radar technology that some day might be used on Mars. The dig Monday was likely the most documented excavation yet of a meteorite find, with researchers painstakingly using brushes and hand tools in order to preserve evidence of the impact trail and to date the event of the meteorite strike. Soil samples were also bagged and tagged, and...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.