Catharine Garmany Reference Libraries
Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific is a monthly scientific journal managed by the Astronomical Society of the Pacific and published by the University of Chicago Press. It has been in publication since 1899, and is one of the premier journals for astronomical research, along with The Astrophysical Journal, The Astronomical Journal, Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Monthly...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.