Latest Chapel Hill News Stories
By Sadia Latifi, The Chapel Hill News, N.C. Jul. 16--CHAPEL HILL -- The employees of the new Fresh Market store opening Wednesday in Chapel Hill were in crunch time this week. Most of the 90 new hires rushed around the store Monday morning, stocking 200 types of cheeses, learning to bake 15 different kinds of pies, and doing their best to stack pyramids of organic apples without spilling any. The Greensboro-based chain's 13th North Carolina store is opening at 1200 Raleigh Road in the...
By Sarah Lindenfeld Hall, The Chapel Hill News, N.C. Jul. 13--CARRBORO -- J.K. Rowling's series of books about Harry Potter, the boy wizard who saves the world from Lord Voldemort, has sparked a legion of fans. For many, the mania ended last summer with the publication of the seventh and final Harry Potter book. For others, it was the beginning of an obsession, fueled by movies, fan clubs, conventions, a social movement, a planned theme park in Florida. And then there is its very...
By Dave Hart, The Chapel Hill News, N.C. Jul. 9--John Loftin steps onto the stage, thanks the audience for its welcoming applause and takes the microphone from its stand. "So I was at my gynecologist's this week ..." he begins. You can't see the audience in the video posted on Loftin's MySpace page, but you can hear it. Loftin, low-key and engaging, gets the crowd on his side from the start, and they stay there, laughing and applauding, through the rest of the nearly 12-minute show....
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.