Latest Colchester Zoo Stories
Experts say that monkeys learn to cover their eyes when they want to be left alone. Zookeepers at Colchester Zoo first noticed Milly, a 15-year-old mandrill, covering her eyes in 1999, when she was three. Staff thought at first she had poor eyesight or was just trying to shade her eyes from the sun. It was not until evolutionary biologist Mark Laidre of the University of California, Berkeley decided to take interest when the truth was realized about Milly. He spent 100 hours studying the...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.