Colon Reference Libraries
The large intestine is the organ that follows the small intestine but is the last part of the digestive tract before the waste leaves the body. Formation and Orientation The small intestine is on average about five feet long. It is composed of four distinct structural parts; the cecum, colon, and anus. The cecum is the part of the large intestine that comes first. It is separated into...
Sigmoidoscopy is a medical procedure in which the physician is able to visualize the inside walls of the large intestine with a scope placed in the rectum. Only the distal part of the colon, or the sigmoid, is examined as opposed to the entire bowel in a colonoscopy. Reasons for procedure The use of this procedure is mainly for early detection of colorectal cancer, vascular abnormalities...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.