Latest communications satellites Stories
ESA Tucked away in a vacuum chamber for several months, Europe´s largest telecom satellite has faced the harsh conditions it will deal with once it is launched into space this summer. Testing at Intespace in Toulouse, France, simulated conditions close to those Alphasat will experience in flight, including the intense cold of its transfer orbits in the early stages of the mission. Not only was Alphasat´s ability to control its temperature tested, but other features were...
Discovery launched from Kennedy Space Center on November 8, 1984 at 7:15 AM EST and landed at Kennedy on November 16 at 6:59 AM EST. The shuttle orbited 127 times at an altitude of 185 nautical miles at an angle of 28.5 degrees and travelled 3.3 million miles. The mission lasted 7 days, 23 hours, 44 minutes, and 56 seconds. The Canadian communications satellite TELESAT-H (ANIK), attached to Payload Assist Module-D (PAM-D) was deployed into geosynchronous orbit on flight day two. On the...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.