Latest Conservatism Stories
By Katherine Baldwin LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's opposition Conservatives chose David Cameron as their new leader on Tuesday, opting for youth to revive their fortunes and challenge British Prime Minister Tony Blair after three successive election defeats. The centre-right party, which dominated 20th century British politics under leaders such as Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher, has struggled to drag itself out of the wilderness and Cameron, 39, is the fifth Conservative...
By Jim Christie SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Democrats who control California's legislature said on Friday they may allow Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to make mid-year budget cuts if he drops his support for a ballot measure that would cap state spending. The measure is one of the proposals Schwarzenegger wants to put directly to voters in a special election in November after failing to convince lawmakers that dramatic steps are needed to overhaul the state government, including its...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.