Latest Conservative Party Stories
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - Former British Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath, who took Britain into the forerunner of the European Union during his term in office in the early 1970s, died at home on Sunday, his party said. He was 89. Heath ruled Britain from 1970 to 1974 but after losing power was ousted as Conservative Party leader by Margaret Thatcher, who went on to serve three terms. As prime minister, he successfully negotiated Britain's entry into the European Economic...
By Claudia Kade BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's conservative opposition would try to repair relations between Berlin and Washington if it won a planned general election, according to its program for government seen by Reuters on Sunday. Christian Democrat (CDU) leader and chancellor candidate Angela Merkel is due to present the conservatives' election manifesto on Monday ahead of an expected September poll. According to the final draft, a conservative government Germany would seek to...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.