Latest Dan Packer Stories
By Puyallup Herald, Wash. Aug. 1--As a community, we rely on men and women with the courage and skill of East Pierce Fire and Rescue Chief Dan Packer. We trust our firefighters to come to our rescue and defy the odds; to rush into risk when the rest of us are running out. So we are shocked and saddened when those lives are extinguished far too early, like 49-year-old Packer, who died fighting a California blaze on Saturday. Packer was not merely a firefighter, though that would...
By Kevin Krolicki NEW ORLEANS -- The bankrupt utility that supplies power and gas to New Orleans has not set a timetable for restoring service to the city's storm-ravaged eastern neighborhoods and the Lower Ninth Ward, the company's chief executive told an angry crowd of residents on Saturday. Entergy New Orleans, a subsidiary of Entergy Corp., needs a $450 million federal bailout to replace equipment destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and finance operations over the next year, Chief Executive...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.