Latest DAN SVINGEN Stories
By DAN SVINGEN The weather is cooling. The kids are studying. The harvest is roaring. The shotguns are shining. These iconic images proclaim that autumn is soon upon us. For some of our fellow creatures, however, that is hardly a news flash. Incredible as it may seem, many arctic-nesting shorebirds began their "fall" migration in early July. For most such species, adult females were the first to depart the top of the world, leaving their mates to shepherd the tiny puffball chicks...
By DAN SVINGEN Unusual. Odd. Bizarre. All words, all adjectives and all descriptive of the spring that is quickly ebbing away. Now please, do not misunderstand. My choice of modifiers is by no means a criticism of our current season. After all, those same adjectives, along with the phrase "devilishly handsome," are oft employed by others to describe me. Like many happenings in the natural world, this spring's unusual birding was no doubt strongly influenced by weather patterns. Weather...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.