Latest David McCauley Stories
Brett Smith for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online According to a report in the journal Nature Genetics, an international team of geneticists has announced the successful sequencing of the sea lamprey genome. The sea lamprey makes for an interesting genetic case from an evolutionary standpoint, being a jawless vertebrate that diverged from jawed vertebrates millions of years ago. “The sea lamprey is a primitive jawless vertebrate that diverged from other jawed vertebrates...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.