Latest Debbie Harrison Stories
A letter written by famed 19th century explorer David Livingstone, which has been illegible for nearly 140 years, has finally been deciphered, a British university said Friday. The letter was written by the explorer who told of his despair at ever leaving Africa alive. The deciphering of the letter, using state of the art imaging techniques, helped researchers paint a picture of a man traditionally labeled as a bold Victorian hero, revealing the self-doubt that plagued the explorer in...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.