Latest Depleted uranium Stories
A Washington-based company, created and funded by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, will work with Chinese scientists to jointly develop a new, novel type of nuclear reactor, various media outlets reported on Friday. According to the Associated Press (AP), the reactor -- which Gates said would be "very low-cost, very safe and generate very little waste" during a discussion China's Ministry of Science and Technology -- will run on depleted uranium. UPI and BBC News report that the...
Uranium is a chemical element in the periodic table that has the symbol U and atomic number 92. A heavy, silvery-white, toxic, metallic, and naturally-radioactive element, uranium belongs to the actinide series and its isotope 235U is used as the fuel for nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons. Uranium is commonly found in very small amounts in rocks, soil, water, plants, and animals (including humans). Notable characteristics When refined, uranium is a silvery white, weakly radioactive...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.