Latest Ecozone Stories
Proposal follows first continent-wide survey of Antarctic biogeography An international team of scientists have published the first continent-wide assessment of the Antarctic's biogeography, and propose that the landmass should be divided into 15 distinct conservation regions to protect the continent from invasive alien species. The team's findings are published in Diversity and Distributions, while the authors' proposals were outlined today at a lecture to the Antarctic Treaty...
Antarctica is one of Earth's eight ecozones. The Antarctic ecozone includes Antarctica and several island groups in the southern Atlantic and Indian Oceans. The island groups included in this ecosystem include South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, South Orkney Islands, South Shetland Islands, Bouvet Island, the Crozet Islands, Prince Edward Islands, Heard Island, the Kerguelen Islands, and the McDonald Islands. These islands have milder climates than Antarctica and support a greater...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.