Latest Ellesmere Ice Shelf Stories
Eight square miles worth of giant ice sheets broke off an ice shelf in the Canadian Arctic last week, and scientists said on Tuesday that global warming could be to blame. Experts say temperatures in large parts of the Arctic have increased far faster than the global average in recent decades. In one of the northernmost parts of Canada, the ice broke away from the shelf on Ward Hunt Island, which is a small island just off giant Ellesmere Island. It was the largest fracture of its kind...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.