emphysema Reference Libraries
The lung is a vital organ that is a part of the respiratory system. Generally a person has two lungs; however, the body can function with only one. The lung’s main function is to move oxygen and carbon dioxide into and out of the bloodstream through gas exchange. The lungs are located lateral to the heart in the thoracic cavity. Each lung has a tip called the apex, which is superior in the...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.