Latest Erskine Bowles Stories
Veterans working for U.S. government face 10 -12 percent pay cut under proposed plan WASHINGTON, May 18, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), the nation's largest federal employee union serving thousands of veterans nationwide, today expressed outrage at proposed plans to reduce the national deficit by attacking federal employee pensions. Under the deficit reduction plan proposed by former senator Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.) and former Clinton...
NORFOLK, Va., Feb. 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Erskine B. Bowles has been elected a director of Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC), Chairman and CEO Wick Moorman announced today. Bowles served as president of the University of North Carolina from 2006 to 2010, when he was appointed co-chair of President Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform. Bowles was a North Carolina senatorial candidate in 2002 and 2004, and general partner in Forstmann Little & Co....
WASHINGTON, Nov. 10, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Jean Ross, RN, co-President of National Nurses United, the nation's union and professional association for registered nurses, issued the following statement on suggestions from Erskine Bowles and Alan Simpson, co-chairs of the Commission on the Deficit, that Social Security and Medicare be cut: "Nurses are aghast at the Commission on the Deficit's Bowles-Simpson proposal for a cruel and senseless cut to the Social Security and Medicare programs...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.