Latest Fauna of Borneo Stories
[ Watch The Video: Movie of Camponotus Schmitzi ] Public Library of Science An insect-eating pitcher plant teams up with ants to prevent mosquito larvae from stealing its nutrients, according to research published May 22 in the open access journal PLOS ONE by Mathias Scharmann and colleagues from the University of Cambridge and the University Brunei Darussalam. The unusual relationship between insect-eating pitcher plants and ants that live exclusively on them has long puzzled...
Lee Rannals for redOrbit.com — Your Universe Online A research lab has identified the genetic markers for an endangered species of elephant, showing the animals have very low genetic variability. The study, published in the journal PLoS ONE, opens up new avenues for the conservation of other endangered species. Researchers took advantage of DNA sequencing methodology in order to try and change the odds when looking for diversity. The Bornean elephant is a unique...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.