Latest Firrhill, Edinburgh Stories
A SECONDARY school pupil will see her artwork driving all over Edinburgh after winning a council-run competition to 'brand a bin lorry'. The design by Annie Forbes, a second-year pupil at Firrhill High School, was chosen from nearly 100 entries sent in for the auto-art contest from 11 secondary schools across the city. The challenge was to come up with an eye-catching design on an anti-litter theme to brand one of the council's refuse lorries. Annie's design features the word...
NHS leaders today said they were committed to building a new health and social centre in Firrhill and quashed rumours of financial problems. The new three-storey centre near Colinton will move two GP practices to one location, alongside district nurses and health visitors. It will also bring together other community services, such as the local social work office and an older people's day facility. The new building will be connected to the existing Firrhill Medical Centre on Colinton...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.