Latest First Coast Stories
By MAGGIE FITZROY Horrified Jacksonville Beach tourists witness fiery explosions out at sea. A German U-boat steams south along the Beaches coast to elude capture by the U.S. Navy. After rowing ashore, four Nazi agents creep along a dark beach in Ponte Vedra Beach and bury boxes of explosives in the sand. History buffs packed the Beaches Museum and History Center Thursday night to hear University of Florida history professor Michael Gannon tell tales of World War II activities at the...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.