Latest Floods in the United States: 1901-2000 Stories
SACRAMENTO (Reuters) - California lawmakers and experts expressed concern on Tuesday that the nation's most populous state remained vulnerable to the type of flooding that recently ravaged New Orleans. "The state's current approach to development in flood plains is a recipe for a Katrina-type disaster," said Dave Jones, chairman of the state Assembly's judiciary committee. Jones and other legislators heard from experts at a state legislative committee hearing on flood preparedness....
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.