Quantcast
Last updated on April 16, 2014 at 21:24 EDT

Latest Foreign Body Stories

2013-05-01 08:27:26

"Don't Stick Sticks Up Your Nose! Don't Stuff Stuff In Your Ears!" Focuses on Child Safety PHOENIX, May 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Children's innate curiosity has lead them to stick objects in their ears and noses for a majority of human history. While the trial and error mindset is crucial to development, it does not exist without consequence. Fortunately, there are medical professionals dedicated to treating and preventing these mishaps. From rocks and raisins to paper and peanuts,...

2012-12-28 15:16:40

It is a well known fact that children often swallow things. Children aged 6 months to 6 years are most often affected, but even adults sometimes end up with a foreign body stuck in their throats–and not only there. Peter Ambe, Düsseldorf University Hospital, and his coauthors review this clinical problem in this issue of Deutsches Ärzteblatt International (Dtsch Arztebl Int 2012; 109(50): 869–75). Adults ingest foreign bodies mostly with their food....

2012-10-15 16:14:07

A technique called the "mother's kiss" for removing foreign objects from the nasal passages of young children appears to be a safe and effective approach, found a study published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal). "The mother's kiss appears to be a safe and effective technique for first-line treatment in the removal of a foreign body from the nasal cavity," writes Dr. Stephanie Cook, Buxted Medical Centre, Buxted, United Kingdom, with coauthors. "In addition, it may prevent...

Avoid A Trip To The ER, Check That Grille Before You Grill
2012-07-04 12:11:02

Lawrence LeBlond for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online When you pull out the barbecue this 4th of July holiday you may want to take a few extra minutes checking the surface of the grill for foreign objects that could pose serious risks to your health, according to a new report from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Health and safety experts around the country typically take it upon themselves this time of year to warn outdoor cooks of the dangers that may lurk...

2011-07-11 09:37:00

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., July 11, 2011 Independent studio Vuguru today announced the U.S. release of the multi-platform series The Booth at the End premiering exclusively on Hulu (www.hulu.com/booth). The psychological thriller created by writer Christopher Kubasik and directed by Jessica Landaw (One Tree Hill, Cold Case, Judging Amy) stars Xander Berkeley (Nikita, 24, CSI, Kick-Ass, Terminator 2: Judgment Day) and an ensemble cast. As part of an exclusive first-run, multi-year streaming...

2010-11-01 16:30:15

Study from Rhode Island Hospital identifies an unusual yet financially impactful condition A new study from Rhode Island Hospital found that 33 individuals were responsible for 305 cases of medical intervention to remove foreign bodies that were intentionally swallowed, resulting in more than $2 million in estimated hospital costs. The findings appear in the November issue of Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Through a retrospective case study over an 8-year period, the researchers...

2010-09-23 14:54:00

LONDON, Sept. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Fireworks International, the television and digital distribution arm of ContentFilm plc, and Michael Eisner's leading US-based independent studio Vuguru are partnering in a significant output deal which will see the distributor acquiring a minimum of ten multi-platform projects from the company over two years. As part of the new two-year agreement, Fireworks International will be granted a first-look opportunity to acquire international multi-platform...

2010-09-20 23:11:44

Severe injury to the esophagus can occur after a child swallows a disc battery, according to a report in the September issue of Archives of Otolaryngology"“Head & Neck Surgery, one of the JAMA/Archives journals. "A disc battery is an increasingly common foreign body ingested by children," the authors write as background information in the article. The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported a total of 2,063 disc battery ingestions in 1998; the number increased 80...

2009-10-28 21:36:37

Foreign body ingestion is a frequent gastrointestinal emergency. However, long spoon swallowing is a rare event. Most swallowed spoons have been found in the stomach. Previously, there has been no reported case of a long spoon reaching the jejunum. A research article to be published on October 21, 2009 in the World Journal of Gastroenterology reports a case of accidentally swallowing of a long spoon. A 33-year-old woman complained that she attempted to use the spoon to remove a fish bone,...