Latest Frederick Hammersley Stories
Frederick Hammersley, known as an abstract classicist in the art community, has died at the age of 90 in Albuquerque, N.M., his sister says. The Los Angeles Times reported Saturday that Hammersley spent five decades combining hard-edge abstraction with his intuitive touch to create memorable paintings in the wake of being at the forefront of the abstract art movement. In 1959, Hammersley were included in a traveling exhibition, Four Abstract Classicists, along with artists Lorser Feitelson,...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.