A gas stove is a cooking device which uses natural gas, propane, butane, Liquefied petroleum gas or other flammable gas as a fuel source. Since the gas pipe network was slow to develop, the success of the gas stove on a commercial level took some time to happen. Gas stoves were invented as early as the 1820's as isolated experiments but it was not until the 1880's that manufactured stoves were sold commercially. The first stoves were large and bulky, but over time they were reduced to fit...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.