Latest Gatun Lake Stories
An unusual signal detected by the seismic monitoring station at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute's research facility on Barro Colorado Island results from waves in Lake Gatun, the reservoir that forms the Panama Canal channel, scientists report. Understanding seismic background signals leads to improved earthquake and tsunami detection in the Caribbean region where 100 tsunamis have been reported in the past 500 years.As part of a $37.5 million U.S. presidential initiative to...
By Gary Bogue PANAMA CITY, Panama PANAMA CITY is an amazing city. Its skyline is certainly as spectacular as San Francisco's -- some might even say more so -- with its tall skyscrapers. And more modern buildings are under construction, even as we speak. (Donald Trump is building the Trump Ocean Club International Hotel and Tower in the shape of a 68-story sail!) What makes this cosmopolitan city amazing is that it springs up out of a primitive rain forest. A green jungle is just a...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.