Glass Reference Libraries
Venus’ Flower Basket (Euplectella aspergillum) is a species of hexactinellid sponge found in the deep ocean. It is found with a male and female shrimp living inside it, which spend their lives living in just one sponge basket. Because of this, Asian cultures use the dead, dried sponge as a wedding present to signify the symbiotic relationship of the sponge and shrimp. The shrimp that make...
Fiberglass consists of numerous extremely fine fibers of glass. Although experimented with throughout history actual glass fibers were not mass produced until the invention of finer machine tooling. A dress with glass fibers was first worn in 1893 by stage actress Georgia Cayvan. Russell Games Slayter invented, in 1938, what is commonly known as fiberglass today. It is commonly used for...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.