Latest Glen Jeffery Stories
Researchers funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) have found that vitamin D reduces the effects of ageing in mouse eyes and improves the vision of older mice significantly. The researchers hope that this might mean that vitamin D supplements could provide a simple and effective way to combat age-related eye diseases, such as macular degeneration (AMD), in people. The research was carried out by a team from the Institute of Ophthalmology at University...
Harmful to humans, but life-saving for artic reindeer, ultraviolet light is a unique adaptation to the extreme artic environment in which reindeer live, according to a study published in the Journal of Experimental Biology. "We discovered that reindeer can not only see ultraviolet light but they can also make sense of the image to find food and stay safe," says lead researcher Professor Glen Jeffery of University College London. "Humans and almost all other mammals could never do this as our...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.