Latest Grace Hartigan Stories
Noted abstract expressionist painter Grace Hartigan has died of liver failure in Baltimore at the age of 86, her longtime dealer, Julian Weissman, says. The New York Times reported Hartigan had earned a reputation for her vividly colorful artistic works that often were labeled pop art for their inclusion of many popular culture images. But Hartigan never accepted that label for her works, saying the 1960s art movement did not truly capture the essence of painting, the Los Angeles Times...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.