Gravitational lensing Reference Libraries
The cluster CL0024+17, located in Pisces, is a galaxy cluster that is allowing astronomers to probe the distribution of dark matter in space. Dark matter does not reflect light and therefore cannot be seen. It is only detectable by the way its gravity affects the lights around it. Using gravitational lensing astronomers observe the distorted light around the dark matter and are able to tell...
Gravitational Lens -- A gravitational lens is formed when the light from a very distant, bright object (such as a quasar) is "bent" around a massive object (such as a massive galaxy) between the bright object and the viewer. The process is known as gravitational lensing, and was one of the predictions made by Einstein's general relativity. Description In a gravitational lens, the...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.