Great Blue Heron Reference Libraries
The Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) is a large wading bird belonging to the heron family called Ardeidae, common near the shores of open water and in wetlands over most of North and Central America as well as the Caribbean and Galapagos Islands. It’s a rare vagrant to Europe, with records from Spain, the Azores, England and the Netherlands. An all-white population found only in the...
The Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) is a small heron. It is a resident breeder in the Caribbean, including the Gulf states of the USA. There is post-breeding dispersal to well north of the nesting range, sometimes as far as the border with Canada. Their breeding habitat is located in sub-tropical swamps where it nests in colonies, often with other herons, usually on platforms of sticks...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.