Latest Green bottle fly Stories
According to a new study released by French scientists in the Archives of Dermatology, maggots may be the best tool known to man for healing large, infected wounds quickly. Whether they confer any real long-term benefits, however, is another question. In Western medicine, doctors have traditionally used a combination of razor-sharp scalpels and enzyme solutions to excise portions of dead or infected wound tissue, a process known as ℠debridement´ in medical jargon. Yet as...
Bacteria that infect chronic wounds can be deadly to maggot 'biosurgeons' used to treat the lesions, show researchers writing in the journal Microbiology. The findings could lead to more effective treatment of wounds and the development of novel antibiotics. Scientists from the Copenhagen Wound Healing Centre, Statens Serum Institut and the University of Copenhagen in Denmark showed that maggots applied to simulated wounds heavily infected with the bacterium Pseudomonas aeruginosa, were...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.