Latest Guillory Stories
By Pamela Rolfe MADRID (Hollywood Reporter) - Colombian actress Catalina Sandino Moreno, who received an Oscar nomination last year for playing a drug mule in "Maria Full of Grace," will star in the 19th century drama "The Heart of the Earth," producers announced Thursday. The story, from Spanish writer/director Antonio Cuadri ("La Gran Vida"), is set around the British-owned mines of Andalusia's Rio Tinto in 1888 and depicts the friendship of two women, one Spanish and the other...
What arts and humanities can mean to our living: a review essay John Guillory, Cultural Capital: The Problem of Literary Canon Formation (The University of Chicago Press, 1993). Kurt Spellmeyer, Arts of Living: Reinventing the Humantties for the Twenty-first Century (State University of New York Press, 2003). Curtis White, The Middle Mind: WHy Americans Don't Think For Themselves (HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 2003). With the eclipse of Christianity as a public force in American...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.