Latest Hanksville Stories
A collection of 60 to 70 new bones, one of which resembles a 20-foot-long neck bone, have been discovered this week at one of Utah's most prominent dinosaur quarries, the Associated Press reported. The findings at the Hanksville-Burpee Dinosaur Quarry offer promise that other large and significant bone specimens could be uncovered in upcoming years. Excavator at the site, Scott Williams, the collections and exhibits manager at the Burpee Museum of Natural History in Rockford,...
By Brian Maffly, The Salt Lake Tribune Jun. 23--HANKSVILLE -- An ancient river, which probably dried up one season, only to swirl and surge with monsoonal violence the next, once braided through this area just southeast of what is now Utah's San Rafael Swell. The river must have slowed here, shedding its load of sand, silt, gravel, trees, clams and dinosaur carcasses, dismembered chunks of big lizards that lived 145 to 150 million years ago. Locals had known this area as a boneyard...
A team of Illinois scientists looking for fossils of big dinosaurs in Utah's Morrison limestone struck pay dirt last month, opening the possibility of a major dinosaur quarry outside Hanksville. In recent weeks, the group, representing the Burpee Museum of Natural History, uncovered "a logjam" of 148-million-year remains of as many as six dinosaur species and massive coniferous trees so well preserved you can feel their bark and read their tree rings. And that's just scratching the surface,...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.