The artificial heart, a mechanical heart replacement, is typically used in order to bridge the time to heart transplant or to replace the heart in case a transplant is impossible. Often ventricular assist devices are confused with mechanical hearts because the assist the heart through pumps. They are also different from a cardiopulmonary bypass machine which is an external device used to provide the function of the heart and lungs. CPBs are usually only used for a few hours at a time,...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.