Symbol: ZACL Group: Dicot Family: Rutaceae Duration: Perennial Growth Habit: Tree Shrub Native Status: L48 N Synonyms: ZAMA3 Zanthoxylum macrophyllum Nutt. Distribution: County distributions for the following U.S. states are available at PLANTS:AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TX, VA Classification: Kingdom Plantae – Plants Subkingdom Tracheobionta – Vascular plants Superdivision Spermatophyta –...
Hercules' Club (Zanthoxylum clava-herculis), also known as Pepperwood, Southern Prickly Ash, and other common names, is a species of shrub native to the southeastern United States. This tree is also called Z. macrophyllum. It is commonly nicknamed "toothache tree" or "tingle tongue" because of the numbness to the mouth, teeth and tongue it induces when the leaves or bark is chewed on. The Hercules' Club grows to 32.5 to 55.75 feet tall. The bark is thick, spined and has cork-like lumps...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.