Latest Hoo Peninsula Stories
By James Marriott Podium ThE GREAT gathering of tents that is the Climate Camp is spread across a field midway between the villages of Hoo St Werburgh and High Halstow in north Kent. These two have been farming communities for perhaps 40 generations, but now they are overshadowed by the great hulk of Kingsnorth power station and the electricity pylons that run from it. How was it that the marshes of Hoo - so good for grazing cattle and sheep, so rich in birdlife - were turned into a site...
Green activists are vowing to force their way into one of Britain's biggest power stations next month in what will be the most serious clash yet between the burgeoning climate change protest movement and the authorities. At least 2,000 campaigners from the 2008 Camp for Climate Action are expected to take part in the assault on Kingsnorth power station in Kent, a huge 2,000 megawatt plant that supplies electricity to 1.5 million homes in the South-east. They are protesting at plans by the...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.