Latest Huichols Stories
Alcohol abuse is a leading cause of liver cirrhosis in Mexico. Given that genetics likely play a role in high rates of alcoholic liver disease, researchers analyzed the polymorphisms of alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH1B), aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) and cytochrome P4502E1 (CYP2E1) in two groups in Mexico: the Mestizos, those with mixed genes, and the Huichols, an indigenous group with no racial admixture. Findings show the Huichols have the highest CYP2E1*c2 allele frequency documented in the...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.