Latest Hurricane Juan Stories
By David Sharp Associated Press MACHIAS, Maine -- Fishermen moved boats to shelter from a rare burst of tropical weather along Maine's rugged eastern coast Sunday as a weakening Hurricane Kyle spun past on its way to Canada, delivering a glancing blow equivalent to a classic nor'easter that made locals yawn. As darkness fell, the storm produced winds hard enough to jiggle road signs and rip early-autumn leaves from trees while lashing the Maine coast with a third straight day of heavy...
By Melanie Patten And Michael Tutton, THE CANADIAN PRESS PORTERS LAKE, N.S. - Ash floated through the air as blustery winds whipped up a unpredictable brush fire in a heavily wooded area east of Halifax on Saturday, destroying two houses and forcing 5,000 people from their homes. No injuries were reported, but about 200 people had registered at emergency shelters since the fire began on Friday afternoon near Porters Lake. Three other houses were damaged, the siding on the buildings...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.